Miami, FL – Known for bringing a diverse range of architectural solutions to the United States market, Spain will not disappoint when it serves as such a resource for the crowds at AIA 2011. Join Tile of Spain and Stone from Spain at the American Institute of Architects 2011 National Convention and Design Exposition, held at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans from May 12-14.
Tile of Spain and Stone from Spain will occupy 1,200 square feet of the Stone & Tile Pavilion, booths #3461/3453. The design of this year’s pavilion creates an integrated, functional space to showcase the many resources, products and technology from both Tile of Spain and Stone from Spain. A dedicated area provides the backdrop for CEU seminars while adjoining spaces showcase samples of both stone and ceramic product. The result is an integrated pavilion concept that seamlessly blends education, information and product. On display will be new products from prominent Spanish ceramic companies, including:
Cerámicas Calaf: With a long history of manufacturing ceramic products for the building industry, Ceramicas Calaf has worked to constantly evolve and adapt its manufacturing processes to embrace the latest technology. The company specializes in mechanically extruded and fired clay flooring to produce the rustic and traditional appearance of terracotta and half-fired flintware.
- These two specialties are embodied in two product lines, the Barcelona Series (terracotta) and the Monserrat Series (half-fired flintware). Both are manufactured with a full range of complementary pieces and are suitable for floor surfaces in houses, gardens, swimming pools and pedestrian areas.
- Cerámicas Calaf‘s new line, theCadi Series is a “hard” fired terracotta. This product holds the finest decorative characteristics of fired clay, but has been fired to flintware to enhance stain- and wear-resistance. This allows for easy cleaning and maintenance but retains the natural composition, color, texture, treatment of classic terracotta.
- Calaf’s range of products is completed by the Decoration Series with enameled friezes for staircases and borders for decorative flooring and wall facings.
Inalco: Specializing in porcelain ceramic series and large format design,Inalco pioneered the concept of slim tile with the Slimmker Collection. At only 4-6 mm, Slimmker is easy to handle, cut and lay, saving installation time and resources used in manufacturing. The next generation of slim tile emerges with SLIMMKER-Floor. In addition to the numerous benefits of thin tile, SLIMMKER-Floor also features high mechanical resistance and breaking strength, surpassing the abilities of conventional thickness tiles. This makes SLIMMKER-Floor an ideal flooring choice for both indoors and out, commercial and residential use. SLIMMKER-Floor is decorated using IPLUS Digital Technology, ensuring a wide choice of pattern and texture.
- Magma is a new SLIMMKER and SLIMMKER-Floor tile series in large format 100×130, 100×100 or 50x100cm format. It emulates basalt volcanic rock in either its natural colour, Gris, or two new colors, Beige and Moka. The series comes in a choice of a natural or polished finish.
- Flair is another new SLIMMKER and SLIMMKER-Floor porcelain tile collection in a 100×100 or 50x100cm format, available in the colour of the pulpis marble that inspired it, Café. Flair creates top-quality, trend-setting living spaces with a touch of elegance. The series includes a 33x100cm white-body Slimmker version, treated with INALCO’s dirt and water repellent Clean System.
- Nebula, the first embossed series from the Prints collection, reproduces the typical marks and prints of cast concrete, forming a delicate texture for contemporary surfaces. Colors with a hint of warmth include Blanco, Gris, Gris Oscuro and Chocolate lending this series a distinctive personality coupled with the versatility of SLIMMKER and SLIMMKER-Floor 100×100 or 50x100cm formats
TILE & STONE EDUCATION PROGRAM – Booth #3461
Architects can gather daily in the Spain Pavilion for three dynamic sessions on ceramic tile and stone, presented by industry expert, Ryan Fasan. Performance-based specifications and quality material allow design professionals the means to create lifelong installations that can be enjoyed for generations to come. This three-part series running all three days of the AIA Convention will help architects realize the many benefits that can be gained by ecologically produced, innovative product from Spain. CEU credits apply.
Program 1: BASIC SPECIFICATIONS FOR CERAMIC TILE Expo ID: #EE321
Learn how to evaluate every type of ceramic tile and communicate these principles in simple language to clients. When is a tile frost resistant? Which tile offers the best wear resistance? What type of tile has the best slip resistance? What quality standards are there for ceramic tile? Join this presentation and learn how to select the correct ceramic tile for every application.
TIMES: Thursday, May 12 – 10:15 am, 12:45 pm, 2:45 pm
Friday, May 13 – 10:15 am, 12:45 pm, 2:45 pm
Saturday, May 14 – 10:15 am, 12:45 pm*
Program 2: ENVIRONMENTAL CERAMIC TILE – GRAY AREA OR GREEN? Expo ID: #EE322
Do you know the benefits and opportunities ceramic tile has to offer? The Environmental concepts including durability, improved indoor air quality, reduced renovation impact, and energy efficiency are inherent considerations for sustainable design. Realize the power of sustainability through durability and the many benefits ceramic tile can offer for a green specification.
TIMES: Thursday, May 12 – 10:45 am, 1:15 pm, 3:15 pm
Friday, May 13 – 10:45 am, 1:15 pm, 3:15 pm
Saturday, May 14 – 10:45 am, 1:15 pm*
Program 3: CLASSIFICATION, FEATURES & BENEFITS OF STONE FROM SPAIN Expo ID: #EE320
Natural stone has been part of building construction for generations. The physical properties of dimension stone such as colour, grain, size and texture determine the correct use of this material. Spain has enhanced the efficiency of its overall production chain to deliver higher quality, added value products to the market. Consistent research, development and innovation has revolutionized stone processing operations, led to a new generation of stone products and minimized waste produced. The over 90 varieties of stone from Spain offer some of the most advanced and sustainable solutions in dimension stone. Identify the unique characteristics and environmental processes to consider when specifying natural stone material.
TIMES: Thursday, May 12 – 11:15 am, 1:45 pm, 3:45 pm
Friday, May 13 – 11:15 am, 1:45 pm, 3:45 pm
Saturday, May 14 – 11:15 am, 1:45 pm*
*Program at this time is only available upon request.
The Spanish Ceramic Tile Manufacturer’s Association (ASCER) is the private organization whose primary objective is to support Spain’s ceramic tile manufacturers and the industry as a whole by stewarding and promoting the Tile of Spain brand worldwide. A strong global leader, the ceramic tile industry of Spain comprises 220 manufacturers concentrated primarily in the province of Castellón. Stone from Spain is the worldwide banner of excellence representing the advanced production technology and unique natural stone varieties from the diverse regions in Spain. The primary purpose of this program is to serve as a liaison between Spain’s manufacturers and design professionals in the United States. For more about tile and stone produced in Spain, contact Tile of Spain Center at the Trade Commission of Spain, 2655 Le Jeune Road, Suite 1114, Coral Gables, FL 33134. Call 305-446-4387 or visit www.tileofspainusa.com